As the winter season is upon us, Springboro VFD wants everyone to drive safe this season. So here are some Safe Winter Driving Tips.
1. If you must drive, clear the ice and snow from your vehicle, all windows and windshield wipers. Be sure the windshield washer reservoir is adequately filled with a freeze-resistant cleaning solution.
2. Drive slowly. Even if your vehicle has good traction in ice and snow, other drivers will be traveling cautiously. Don’t distrupt the flow of traffic by driving faster than everyone else.
3. Drive with your headlights on.
4. Don’t get overconfident with four-wheel drive. It won’t help you stop any faster.
5. Winter road conditions often result in longer stopping distances. Give yourself room. If you have anti-lock brakes, press the pedal down firmly and hold it. If you don’t have anti-lock brakes, gently pump the pedal.
6. Slow down when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges or shady spots. These all have potential to develop black ice.
7. Avoid abrupt actions while steering, braking or accelerating to lessen your chance of losing control.
8. Look farther ahead in traffic. Actions by other drivers will alert you to problems and give you extra reaction time.
9. Trucks take longer to stop. Don’t cut in front of them.
10. Avoid using cruise control or overdrive. Don’t let your car make a bad decision for you.
Please take these safe driving tips serious. Hope you all drive safe.